The keyboard of your laptop is its main component. And it is such a hassle when your Laptop Keyboard, not Working. A faulty keyboard means a faulty laptop because the keyboard of a laptop cannot be replaced as of the computer. It can be frustrating too when you have a lot of work to do and deadlines to meet.
Keyboards require proper maintenance and cleaning but if your laptop’s keyboard is not working, here are a few tips that can help you identify and solve the issue in no time.
Identify the Problem
There can be several reasons your laptop’s keyboard has stopped working. It can be due to some hardware as well as a software issue, or simply because of the dust.
Here are some of the common problems you might be facing
- One or more keys don’t work
- Keys on the number pad aren’t working
- Function keys aren’t working
The common reason of these problems are as follows
- Dirt and Dust – cleaning the dust and chunks of food from the keyboard can help.
- Bad hardware driver – Hardware can be updated or reinstalled which can solve the issue.
- Bad connection – The keyboard can be causing problems because of the connectivity issue with the laptop. This can be solved by opening the laptop and connecting the keyboard again.
- Wrong language settings – Your keyboard settings can be set to use the language.
How to Fix Your Laptop’s Keyboard In No Time
Here are a few solutions that can help you solve the issues of your laptop’s keyboard.
Reboot Your PC
This is one of the oldest yet most effective methods to solve the issues on your laptop. Rebooting solves almost every minor issue. If you are facing issues with system components, you should try rebooting with safe mode. This would help you determine if the issue is with the laptop or the keyboard.
To determine if it’s a hardware or software issue, restart your laptop and enter the BIOS. You can do this by pressing F2 or delete repeatedly when the system is booting up. If you can enter the BIOS, it is a software problem but if you can’t, it is due to the hardware.
In this case, you should clean your keyboard by removing the dust and chunks from the area. Then turn it upside down and gently tap on the back. You can try to remove the battery and plug it back in after a while.
While doing this, make sure your laptop isn’t connected to any power source.
Reinstall Your Keyboard Driver
If you can enter the BIOS as mentioned above, your keyboard is not working because of the software issue.
If your keyboard drive is corrupt, reinstalling it might solve the issue. You should use the third-party programs to update your ol’ system drivers to ensure safety. Here is how you can reinstall your keyboard driver.
- Right-click on the start button.
- Select device manager
- Expand the keyboard category
- Right-click on the keyboard you want to repair
- Uninstall the keyboard you want to repair.
- Select restart on the power button
- Let the computer restart. The windows will reinstall the keyboard driver then.
- Downloading and installing the wrong system drivers can damage your laptops and PC, which is why it is advised to use third-party programs.
Adjust your Keyboard Settings
If your laptop is working slowly and you are noticing a delay between pressing a key and that character appearing on the screen, you should adjust the filter key settings.
Here is how you can do it.
- Search ‘Ease of Access’ in your start menu and click it
- Click on ‘Make the keyboard easier to use’.
- If the filter key is turned on then turn it off by unchecking the box.
If your keyboard types additional characters when you press a key, you can go to the Control Panel and click on keyboard settings. Here you can adjust the ‘repeat delay’ setting of your keyboard.
Change Keyboard Layout
If you press a certain key, but another key is displayed on the screen, this is because the keyboard layout in your laptop was mistakenly changed.
You can follow the following steps to resolve this issue.
- Find the language settings by searching ‘Language’ is the start menu.
- Check your listed languages and select the language you want to type. It is English for most people.
- Remove the keyboard layouts you are not using.