You are thinking of buying a gaming laptop for some serious shooter action, but you wonder how long it will last. The answer to this question very much lies in your habits. If you use your gaming laptop carefully, it can last you 10 years or more. However, some laptops give up on you in less than 5 years.
How long will a gaming laptop last?
The lifespan of a gaming laptop depends on the hardware it contains. A latest gaming laptop can provide up to 3 years of first-class high-end action. In most cases, you will be able to play all the flagship titles for the first two years. After that, game publishers will move on to support newer hardware. In rare cases, you can get 4 to 6 years of top-tier gaming experience with regular maintenance.
Having said that, you should also realize that gaming laptops make excellent multimedia computers. They are also suitable for business uses. Therefore, they don’t lose their value as quickly as standard laptops.
Can a laptop last 10 years?
With proper care and keep, laptops can easily last 10 years. However, it also depends on the quality of hardware present inside a laptop. Generally, the first thing that gives up on a laptop is either the keyboard or the display. Keyboards die typically due to accidental spillage where displays sometimes break or the internal cable tears due to opening and closing of the lid. However, these issues can be easily fixed.
How to take care of your gaming laptop?
- Turn off the laptop when not in use. Having your laptop on standby and ready for some gaming action sounds nice, but it dramatically reduces your precious machine’s life. Treat your laptop like a friend. Once you are done playing your favorite game, give your laptop some rest too.
- Keep liquids and other foods away from your gaming laptop. Accidental spills can be “game over” as moisture is your machine’s biggest enemy. If you want to have a snack, take a break. Don’t eat on the top of your laptop.
- Store your gaming laptop in a sleeve or a laptop bag. We recommend that you put your laptop in a sleeve while it’s not in use or charging. Obviously, no one buys a laptop to keep it home. While purchasing a gaming laptop bag, you should choose one that has padding on opposite sides. Trust us, you will need that extra protection while traveling.
- Don’t drain your laptop’s battery entirely. Gaming laptops generally use the same batteries as the business laptops do. However, gaming laptops tend to be more resource-draining than their counterparts. Use a battery profile for non-gaming usage. When your computer alerts you about the battery getting low, plug it in to start charging. By draining full cycles, you decrease both the capacity and lifespan of the cells present in the battery.
- Never play games while charging your battery. This degrades the life of the battery. If you can, leave your laptop alone when it’s charging. If you can’t, you can always take out the battery and use the laptop on direct current. This hack surprisingly works with most gaming laptops, but we do not recommend this.
- Keep your gaming laptop in ideal conditions. Read the user’s manual for guidance. Use air-conditioning to regulate the temperature. If the conditions are too humid, use a dehumidifier. Remember, moisture and dust are the worst enemies of your gaming laptop.
How to clean your gaming laptop?
The gaming laptop deteriorates as you use it even if you are the most careful person on the planet. Don’t worry. Dust buildup is something we all have to face.
If you live anywhere near a beach or a sandy area, we would recommend you to clean your laptop after every 3 months to remove dust buildup.
If you have kept your gaming laptop in ideal conditions, you should clean it twice a year.
So, how do you clean a laptop? Well, one of the best ways to clean your gaming laptop is by using compressed air. Here is a simple tutorial on how to clean your laptop with compressed air:
- Unplug your laptop.
- Hold the laptop on its side and check for fan grilles and other outlets.
- Keep your can of compressed air upright and spread a few puffs inside each grille or outlet. (Do not use the can upside down)
- Wipe any visible dust with a microfiber cloth.
Once cleaned, leave your laptop on the side for a few minutes.
How to extend the lifespan of a laptop?
In this article, we have shared many ways to extend the life of your gaming laptop. However, one of the things that can make a real difference is the effective use of cooling. Even the newest laptops will emit a significant amount of heat, because of the powerful components inside it.
Use a cooling pad to keep your gaming laptop cool. Just place your laptop on a cooling pad and plug the pad’s connector into one of your USB ports. The fans inside the cooling pad improve airflow and bring the operating temperature by a couple of notches.
A gaming laptop can easily last for 5 years. With proper maintenance and clean up, you can get up to 10 to 12 years from the same laptop.